The Nam Nung mountain range, located at the border between Krong No district and Dak Song district, gets its name from the language of the M’nong tribe, where “Nam” means “mountain”, and “Nung” is “an oliphant”. Hence “Nam Nung” means “the mountain in the shape of an oliphant”. During the war against the French colonists, the M’nong leader and national hero N’Trang Long chose the Nam Nung mountain range as the military base.
During the war against the American colonists from 1959 to 1975, Nam Nung was the shelter and General Headquarters for the local, provincial and inter-provincial Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam. Nam Nung became the strategic link for supplies of military personnel and resources to the front line, connecting the Central Highlands to the Northeast Mekong Plain and the North to the South of Vietnam. It also served as the contact point between leaders from the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam and local officers, in the process of forming the Core Forces of Southern Vietnam, who would lead the offensive and rebellion in spring 1975 to liberate the South of Vietnam and unify the country. After 59 years of existence, many relics are still well-preserved, such as the floor of the office of the Provincial Committee of the Communist Party (coded-named B4 – the 4th Inter-provincial Base); the office of B4’s Board of Management; the Party’s conference room; trenches; underground shelters; etc. For tourism activities, Dak Nong Province’s Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism had these relics marked for locations and borders, restored and embellished. Some of the works done include fence installation around the reserve; concrete road and entrance and iron bridge construction;Hoang Cam stoves and restoration work on the office of B4’s Board of Management, on the Party’s conference room.
The vestige consists of two sites:
1) The North Base (northern of Nam Nung), developed from bases dating back to the anti – French colonist war and then renovated, was located in the area of Nam Nung commune, Krong No district, in the period of 1959 – 1967,.
Coordinates: 12023’24,035″ latitude North, 107051’9,414” meridian East
2) The South Base (southern of Nam Nung) was established in the area of Nâm Nung Wildlife Reserve and Dak N’tao Forest Enterprise in Quang Son commune, Dak Glong district, in the period of 1967 – 1975.
Coordinates: 12014’23,27” latitude North, 107051’9,414” meridian East
On March 17th, 2005, with Decision no. 10/2005/QĐ-BVHTT, the vestige was recognized a National Historical-Revolutionary Vestige by the Ministry of Culture and Communication (now the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism).