Coordinates: 12045’84’’ latitude North, 107015’84’’ meridian East
Location: 9th Village, Dak Lao Ward, Dak Mil District
Dak Mil Prisonwas designed in the style of long houses (or stilt houses) of Ede people and consisted of 9 wooden compartments with a thatched roof. The surrounding wooden fence was clogged with barbed wire. The four corners of the prison were guarded 24 hours a day.
Dak Mil prison was built in the early 1940s in an old-growth forest in Dak Mil district by the French colonists in Vietnam with the aim of detaining and exiling patriotic people, revolutionaries previously confined in Buon Ma Thuot prison, and especially unconvertible communist revolutionaries.
At the beginning of November 1941, the first group of convicts sentenced in Dak Mil prison was 45 political prisoners who were considered the most dangerous to the wardens at Buon Ma Thuot prison. In Dak Mil prison, the first sub-branch of the Communist Party of Vietnam in the M’nong Plateau was founded, which increased the strength and self-esteem of the revolutionaries. Their successful organization of two clever escapes was a milestone in the local revolutionary movement.
At the end of 1943, realizing that Dak Mil prison could no longer hold communist prisoners, the French colonists sent the entire convicts in Dak Mil prison to Buon Ma Thuot prison and declared the destruction of Dak Mil prison.
On May 17th 2005, with Decision no. 11/2005/QĐ-BVHTT, Dak Mil prison was recognized a National Historical-Revolutionary Vestige by the Ministry of Culture and Communication (now the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism).