The Nam Nung mountain range gets its name from the M’nong language, where “Nam” means “mountain”, and “Nung” is “a horn”.
During the war against the French colonists (1911 – 1935), the M’nong leader and national hero N’Trang Long chose this mountain range as a military base. During the war against the American colonists from 1959 to 1975, Nam Nung was the General Headquarters for the Communist Party of Vietnam (code name: B4-interprovince IV). Nam Nung became the strategic link for supplies of military personnel and resources to the front line, connecting the Central Highlands to the Northeast Mekong Plain and the North to the South of Vietnam. It also served as the contact point between leaders from the Communist Party of Vietnam and local officers, in the process of forming the Core Forces of Southern Vietnam, who would lead the offensive and rebellion in spring 1975 to liberate the South of Vietnam and unify the country.
After 59 years of existence, many relics are still well preserved, (offices, conference room, trenches; underground shelters; etc). To preserve this history, Dak Nong Province has realized several important restoration works.
In 2005, the vestige was recognized by the Ministry of Culture and Communication as a National Historical-Revolutionary Vestige, consisting of two sites located deep inside the forest:
1) The North Base was located in the area of Nam Nung commune, Krong No district in the period of 1959 – 1967.
2) The South Base was established in the area of Nam Nung Nature Reserve and Dak N’tao Afforestation yard in Quang Son commune, Dak G’long district during the period of 1967 to 1975.